As a school it is essential that you keep a record of injuries and accidents to pupils. You are obliged to provide a pupil accident book in which details of accidents to pupils leading to injury can be recorded. This pupil accident book should be kept in a place that readily allows school employees access.
If a pupil is injured whilst at school you are obliged by law to record the injury in the Pupil Accident Book. An accident record must be completed immediately following an incident providing as much information as possible.
For many incidents it is only necessary to complete an accident record but in some circumstances the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR) requires you to report an incident to the Health & Safety Executive.
If any of the following injuries occur due to an accident at school it must be reported to the HSE:
- Fractures (other than to fingers, thumbs or toes)
- Any amputation
- Dislocation of the shoulder, hip, knee or spine
- Loss of sight (temporary or permanent)
- A chemical or hot metal burn to the eye
- Any penetrating injury to the eye
- Any injury resulting from an electric shock or electrical burn (including any electrical burn caused by arcing or arcing products) leading to unconsciousness or requiring resuscitation or admittance to hospital for more than 24 hours
- Any other injury leading to:
- Hypothermia, heat-inducted illness or unconsciousness
- Resuscitation or requiring admittance to hospital for more than 24 hours
- Loss of consciousness caused by asphyxia or by exposure to a harmful substance or biological agent
- Either of the following conditions which result from the absorption of any substance by inhalation, ingestion or through the skin:
- Acute illness requiring medical treatment; or
- Loss of consciousness
- Acute illness which requires medical treatment where there is reason to believe that this resulted from exposure to biological agent or its toxins or infected material
As well as being able to supply your school with specific school first aid kits
and first aid supplies
, Safety First Aid also supply pupil accident books
. The accident books have been designed for use in schools and colleges, providing detailed information and guidance on how to record incidents and what course of action needs to be taken. The books also comply with the Data Protection Act as the record cards can be removed from the book to be stored in a secure location.